One of the fun things about making your own oatmeal is experimenting with different grains. One that I have really come to love is Millet. Yes, this is the little beads that you will find in bird seed! Upon cooking, it expands slightly, splits and becomes tender but not mushy. It will retain a firmer texture. I decided to go ahead and try cooking some up on it’s own and give it a taste test. I was actually very happy with the results. It has a real earthy flavor and I love the texture. It’s also a great source of fiber and protein. So if you want to try something new, then this one is for you!
An earthy Vegan Breakfast
- 2 Cups Light Vanilla Soy Milk (or other liquid)
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Millet
- Bring your milk and cinnamon to a boil (stirring continuously)
- Add millet and stir
- Turn down heat and cover.
- Simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove lid if liquid is remaining and continue to simmer until all liquid is absorbed.
- You can use any combination of liquids and spices you like. This blend gives a subtle sweet and cinnamon flavor.
Busy Vegetarian Mom http://www.busyvegetarianmom.com/
Have you tried different grains? Tell me about what you have experimented with below in the comments!