Creamy Vegan Tomato Basil Soup In The Crock Pot!
Ok…Yes, I “tooted my own horn,” about this Vegan Tomato Basil Soup recipe a few days ago. I thought I had better not make you wait!
I had been holding off on trying my own tomato soup for fear that it would just taste too, well…tomatoey. I do not like soups that just taste like stewed tomatoes or spaghetti sauce. I DO, however, LOVE those creamy wonderful tomato bisque’s I get at restaurants. THAT…was my goal. A healthier Vegan creamy tomato soup that was super easy.
I will admit, my first attempt was not so successful. But, as any cook knows, you add and change as you go, so I just added a few things and wa-lah…soup was turned from blah to mm-whaw!
Creamy Crock Pot Vegan Tomato Basil Soup
This recipe is featured on Foodie Friends Friday
- 10-12 Small to Medium Tomatoes (Diced)
- Fresh Basil Leaves (approx 10 leaves-more if you like)
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 TBSP Vegan Butter
- 1 Can Tomato Paste
- 1 TBSP Italian Seasoning
- 2 Cups Soy Milk
- 2 TBSP Whole Wheat Flour
(I will tell you how I made it-but you could add the “add-ins” from the start)
- Place your tomatoes and basil and pepper into the crock pot.
- Whisk the milk and flour together and pour over tomatoes into crock pot.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours
(This is how it looks after cooking)
- I used a smaller size crock pot, so I dumped mine into a bowl and blended with a hand mixer until smooth.
- The taste wasn’t quite there for me yet so I added the Butter, Tomato Paste and Italian Seasoning and blended them into soup.
- I returned the mixture to the crock pot to keep it nice and warm and let it thicken further for about an hour. This was not necessary, but we weren’t ready to eat yet 😉
Just look at how wonderful that is going to taste! I garnished with fresh purple and green basil. YUM!