Vegan Cheesy Tater Tot Surprise
I don’t know what you called it growing up but most everybody has had a tater tot casserole at some time in their life. I had never really recalled a name other than “tater tot casserole” but when my brother-in-law walked in and said, “Hey, Tater Tot Surprise!” Well, the name stuck. I hope you enjoy this healthier veganized version of the classic without the “Cream of Mushroom” soup!
Vegan Cheesy Tater Tot Surprise!
- 1 Bag Tater Tot Crowns (I like the flatter ones personally, you could use regular)
- 2 Cups Chopped Bell Peppers ( I used a bag of frozen, it’s what I had on hand)
- 2 Cups Shredded Vegan Cheese (Pepperjack if you like it spicy, otherwise Cheddar is good)
- 1 Onion, Diced
- 3 Cups Soy Milk
- 3 TBSP Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 TBSP Vegan Chicken Broth Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Ground Pepper
- Spray sides of casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Pour in the tater tots, peppers and onion. Stir.
- In a separate bowl, wisk together soy milk, whole wheat flour, vegan chicken seasoning and pepper.
- Stir cheese into milk mixture.
- Pour milk mixture over the tater tot mix in casserole dish.
- Stir gently to allow cheese to mix in.
- Cover with foil and BAKE at 425 Degrees for 30 Minutes.
- Remove foil and brown top for 5-10 minutes. ( Hint* French Fried Onions go great on top too)
Dish it up and Dinner is ready! So easy too.
P.S. If you want a healthier version, skip the processed tater tots and try it with freshly shredded or thin sliced potatoes. Maybe even sweet potatoes! Mmmm!